The Kittens Are Coming!
It is that time of year again! Animal rescues all across the northern hemisphere are being flooded young kittens. Sometimes these kittens are accompanied by their mother, other times they are found all by themselves. Either way, it is a situation which stretches animal rescues to their limits of occupancy and funding.
One of the most important things that a cat owner can do to help the homeless kitties (and their local rescues) is to make sure that all cats in their care have been spayed or neutered. Way too many people end up with an unexpected litter of kittens in their homes in the spring and summer months. You aren’t off the hook if you only own male cats either – unaltered male cats can impregnate several females in a short period of time. Perhaps you won’t have those kittens in your home, but chances are, your local rescue will have to find a way to care for them.
Here are a few quick facts for you about pregnancy in cats and about kittens:
- The gestation period for a kitten is only about 62 – 67 days.
- Female cats can have their first heat around 5 months of age.
- Kittens are born deaf, blind, and without full control of their own body temperature.
- Kittens must begin being socialized to humans and life in a human home between 2 and 7 weeks old. If they have not had enough human contact in that time period, they may never truly become socialized.
- A mother cat will begin weaning her kittens at between 4 and 6 weeks of age and end at around 8 to 10 weeks.
P.S. to those of you who visit regularly…
Sorry, I’ve been a little silent this week! It has been a bit of an emotionally tough week as I’ve been sending out thank you cards and email to everyone who donated to Cinco’s final expenses. Sometimes being sad is oddly inspiring, other times it is crushing creatively. I decided that I would rather not publish anything than just write things that my heart wasn’t in. Thank you all for your patience with me.
I did get a little spark of happiness this week when a friend invited me over to visit with his little kittens. It was fun to watch them wander around and play. Hopefully, in the next few weeks, Dave and I will finish casting for the open part on Niptoons. 😉 We have not made any decisions quite yet.
Title Photo Credit: Jennifer C. via Flickr
Want to Compete?
I got a score of 160 on this word search (I think the scoring may be broken because this is the 3rd week in a row). Can you get a higher one?
Instructions for the Interactive Word Search
- Words from the word list on the right are hidden within the puzzle. The words may be spelled forward, backward, or on a diagonal.
- Click on the first letter of the word, drag the cursor across the word and click on the last letter of the word.
- The puzzle is finished once you have found all of the words.