Some cats have humans wrapped around their paws!
Evidence of the long history of the Egyptian Mau breed is drawn in Ancient Egyptian artwork. Thought to be the descendants of the Egyptian Wildcat, these beautiful kitties were worshiped by the ancients. Five physical characteristics can help you tell the Egyptian Mau apart from other cat breeds:
- A flap of skin that extends from the posterior of their ribcage down to their back legs. This allows them to run much like the cheetah runs.
- Gooseberry green eyes.
- Longer back legs than front legs which makes them look as if their are walking on their toes.
- Rounded almond-shaped eyes that are angled toward the outer edge of the ears. This give the cat a bit of a “worried” look when combined with the brow line.
- A coat covered in random spots of all different sizes and round to oval shapes. They also have Tabby-like markings with an M on the forehead and broken necklaces around the neck, chest, and legs.
Would you believe that the Egyptian Mau was almost driven to extinction? As it turns out World War II was tough even on the kitties. Luckily, a Russian princess took it upon herself to save the dwindling breed and bring them back to prominence. Today the Egyptian Mau is doing well as a house pet in western countries, but the ferals in Egypt are still having trouble hanging on as the government is systematically poisoning them.
Egyptian Mau cats make great pets! They are not known to be very social with strangers, but they love the humans they’ve bonded with. With their special people, they want nothing but attention. The Egyptian Mau loves to run, jump, and play. They love to hang out on your shoulders! These cats are exceptionally intelligent and very loyal pets.
If you would like to know more about the Egyptian Mau, please read my post The Egyptian Mau: Cat Breed of the Month .
Want to compete?
I got a score of 14,157 on this word search. Can you get a higher one? The faster you find all of the words, the higher your score will be.
Instructions for the Interactive Word Search
- Words from the word list on the right are hidden within the puzzle. The words may be spelled forward, backward, or on a diagonal.
- Click on the first letter of the word, drag the cursor across the word, and click on the last letter of the word.
- The puzzle is finished once you have found all of the words.
Does your cat have any spots? How about the M on the forhead?
Only a few days left!
Enter to win 2 mega bags of Temptations Tumblers and 4 really fun cat toys! Click the image below to go to the giveaway.